Monday 6 April 2009




Ok DJ Kirkby you asked for them!!! This is how the garden looked last week. As you can see there is a LOT of crap and weeds. It has been some what neglected for months now. Last year we weren't even living here because of the roof, and then Richards heart attack and so on and so on. Anyway the sun came out, briefly, so I went out for a recky. I started by clearing the rubbish and tidying the bit you can see in front of the greenhouse. That looks better now. And yesterday I started weeding the beds. There are now lots of little red tulips everywhere. I was doing so well, but guess what? Yup, raining!!! So no gardening today. And DJ, yes porridge oats do work. The slugs don't like the dryness. The only problem is that the birds also like the oats so you have to be careful they don't pull up seedlings. Mind you while they're eating the oats they also eat the slugs.
If I had written this post an hour ago it would have been very depressing. Last week was the week from hell. Dad was rushed into hospital on Monday because he went to the docs and had lost so much weight (3 stone) and wasn't keeping anything down. The doc went mad that the consultant wasn't doing anything and sent him off to hospital. There they put him on a drip etc and he picked up. He had lots more scans and tests and they sent him home on Friday. Today he is starting 9 weeks of Chemotherapy. If that shrinks the tumor enough then they will do keyhole surgery to remove it. So we've been back and forward to Barnstaple all week (25 miles). But I was coping, ish.
Then last night there was the sound of a distressed cat coming from upstairs. I thought I'd shut one of them in somewhere. But no. It was my Twinkle, my baby girl. He back end had collapsed and she was dragging herself along by her front paws. A phone call and then a trip to the emergency vets followed. She had suffered a blood clot that had cut off all the blood supply and circulation to her back end, she was dead from the middle down. There was only one outcome, so I held her while the vet did what he had to do. When we got home I decided I didn't like this game anymore, and I didn't want to play. I wanted to shut myself in the bedroom and stay there. I mean what's the point? If every time you think you've got the hang of it the rules changes and the rug gets pulled out from under you again? Happiness is dangerous, there's only one way it can go.
And then I got a phone call this morning from one of my best friends. She had her fourth baby on Thursday. A little boy called Harry. So life isn't all crap then, not really.

9 comments:

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

Life isn't crap, no. Good things happen. But sweetie, I know.
I wonder how much a trip to A would be.

HelenMWalters said...

You poor thing - what a dreadful time you've been having. RIP Twinkle.

Cathy said...

i hear you--you have to find the good things along with all the bad. My dad has cancer, and it's been so hard watching him get sick. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your cat, too. We had to put your cat asleep a year ago, and I still really miss him.

French Fancy... said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry it's all gone rubbish again. Poor Twinkle - but you did the right and proper thing - doesn't make it easier to bear I do know.

Fingers crossed about your dad. I've just been reading in Alan Bennett's book about the chemotherapy he had to have for colonic cancer and he wasn't sick, he didn't lose his hair - the worst he felt was a bit tired with a hungover feeling.
So, let's just hope, eh?

x

Frankies' Cornish Farmyard Ramblings said...

me too grumbling about the rain, but couldn't be bothered to do anything anyway. A trip to the Docs for me AM, nasty sinus infection and ear infection and everytime I try and sleep I get a tickle and wake up choking! Tomorrow should be sunnier down here lets hope it's the same for you!
Frankie

DJ Kirkby said...

What a lovely garden, no really it is, so full of potential. And it ounds as if you need a lot of uplifting time gardening in the sunshine at the moment. xo

Casdok said...

Very sorry to hear about Twinkle. And i hope all goes well for your father.
Hope the garden will prove to be a good distraction.

Swerdnic said...

Hope it all works out for your Dad. and so sorry about Twinkle.
but no, life isn't all crap, have hope. :)
all the best.
Lx

DAB said...

Hope you've has a better day to day m'dear. Take care :) TFx