Tuesday 28 April 2009

Jamie where art thou??

As you know from a few blogs back we had a bit of trouble with some water coming into the wall in Jamie's room. So we pulled the bed away from the wall about a foot and put the bed rails up. He seemed to take no notice of this at all, we thought. Then, the other morning, he started knocking on the wall rather than the door as usual. When I went in I found him standing behind his bed by the wall, stuck. He'd got himself there but couldn't get back. So I heaved him over the rails back onto the bed. Fine, no harm done, he had only been there a few minuets.


Then on Monday the alarm went off and it was still all quiet. Usually he has me up long before the alarm at 7.30. So I went to wake him to get ready for school. I opened the door, walked in, no Jamie. Small amount of panic until reality kicked in. There is no way he can get out of his room as it's a door knob rather that a handle and he hasn't worked that one out yet. Anyway our room is right next door so he couldn't have gotten out without passing our open door. Anyway the door was still shut so he hadn't gone anywhere. But the fact remained the bed was empty and he was nowhere in sight. But I could hear him snoring.


Somehow he had got between the bed and the wall and had gone to sleep on the floor, with Pooh Bear as a pillow. He hadn't made any attempt to alert us that he was stuck. He is so accepting of everything that he didn't try to wake us. Most kids would have got upset and cried or something. But Jamie just curled himself up on the floor and went to sleep. I don't know if this is an autistic thing or just a Jamie thing. It worries me sometimes just hoe accepting he is. When he's ill or even when he broke his finger, he just seems to shrug and carry on.


Dad update. He's in hospital right now having his second lot of chemo. He seems ok, but is now starting to loose his hair. Keeping everything crossed.

11 comments:

Frankies' Cornish Farmyard Ramblings said...

When I was a child I shared a bedroom with my sister she was 5 years older than me. I was adopted at 8 months old by the way, she was already there, the biological daughter. Anyway, during the nights she would take my bedding off me when I was asleep, I would get cold wake up and scream and cry, she would throw the blankets back on top off me and guess who got the wallop for waking everyone up? I was probably 2 or 3 at the time. So poor Jamie who would have been much loved and comforted if you had only known his predicament.
P.s. she would also empty the potty on the bedroom floor, guess who's fault that was as well?
Love Frankie

French Fancy... said...

Oh Claire - what a sweet picture that summoned up. I do hope you had the camera around.

Such a shame about your dad - let's hope this second blast will do the trick

x

DAB said...

What a sweet lad you have Claire. My fingers are crossed for your Dad. Tfx

Lane Mathias said...

What a little lovely. The image of him curled up on his Pooh Bear is so sweet.

Everything crossed for your dad x

Also Claire, what's that picture on your sidebar, just above Swoony Mr Hammond? It's lovely.

claire p said...

Lane; The picture above the second love of my life is a fabric/needlework/patchwork peice. I found the picture on google images when I was looking for pics of cornish cottages.

Frankie; I hope you got your own back!!

FF; No camera unfortunatly, I wish I had though.

TF & FF; Dad seems fine. He has one more 'blast' to go and then another scan.

HelenMWalters said...

Aaah for Jamie, and everything crossed for your Dad.

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

It's ALL a Jamie thing!! This is ok, Jamie is fine and you are amazing. And he used a bear as a pillow, smart thinking!

Kat W said...

Oh he sounds such a sweetie. Bless him.

Fingers are crossed for your Dad.

Kat :-)

Michelle said...

Hope all goes well with your dad.

My son alarmed me when he was two. We woke to noises downstairs one night. Afraid it may be a burglar, I did not know what to do, then I heard a door slam. I went downstairs to meet my son walking back towards the stairs clearly oblivious to where he was. He spoke to me when i answered him, walked up the stairs and got back into bed (alseep the whole time.) Kids are given to us for all reasons, but one is to give us bewildered delight in their little unusual ways.
Michelle
x

Paulene Angela said...

Jamie had it all under control mum and Pooh Bear was there to help in the big adventure.

Fingers crossed for your father.
Paulene x

Robert said...

"Small amount of panic until reality kicked in.."I've had those heart-stopping moments too! And I have had children get out of their bed and sleep on the floor. No bedclothes, and skin ice cold, but seemed to be happy! Also, different children had different levels of acceptance of events while they were growing up, but all came to a stage where they wanted to shape their own futures (including my autistic son).

Best wishes & best of luck for your father.