Tuesday 14 April 2009

Little Puppy Dog.

Ok I'm fed up with this cold now, I want it to go away please. I have turned into a snot factory ( you wanted to know that didn't you?).


Today Jamie had his appointment with the eye doc. He hates it because they put these drops in his eyes to dilate them so he can see right to the back. He needs to do this because of the hydrocephalus. They need to make sure there is no pressure. There wasn't. So far there hasn't been, but we need to be careful. As I said the pressure was up on the last lumber puncture, not by much, but we still need to keep an eye on things (so to speak). In fact he was better than he usually is. He wasn't happy about the drops and it did mean pining him down, but he stayed still enough for the drops to go in this time. And then, with the doc, he, more or less, did as he was asked. We were in and out in under half an hour!! Result. Now if they could just provide enough parking spaces for the size of the medical centre....But that's a grip for another time.


As you all know Jamie doesn't speak. He makes lots of different sounds, squeaks, growls etc. Recently he has started a new sound which is just like a whining puppy. It's very sweet. When he does it I've started calling him 'little puppy dog'. On the way to bed last night he was making the noise, but I hadn't said anything. Half way along the landing he stopped, turned to me and made the sign for dog. He wanted me to say 'puppy dog'!! When I did he carried on to bed!

And he can defiantly recognise faces. This was something we've been told autistic children can't do. But he knows who certain favorite TV presenters are and can find their picture in magazines. Fiona Bruce seems to be a favorite at the moment, Richard approves of this very much. And if he's got his computer on iplayer (it's my old lap top), and we have the TV on he will find the programme we're watching and play it on iplayer.


As for my last post. Ok, Ok I'll write it, I'll write it!!! Already this week we have had two men in a bright pink Suzuki Vitara soft top. And they were sharing a one double bed roomed cottage. Perhaps I'll give you a weekly new flash of all the stupid things they've done this week! Don't worry Frankie, I'm sure all yours will be lovely.

8 comments:

HelenMWalters said...

Glad the eye doctor visit went as well as could be expected. The puppy dog thing does sound really cute x

Lane Mathias said...

Glad it went well at the eye doctor's. My younger daughter used to have the drops regularly (she was born with a squint and nystagma) and she always hated the drops, so well done Jamie for being a good little puppy dog:-)

ps - you've gotta write that book - it just keeps getting better!

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

OMG I HATE THOSE FING EYE DROPS. We had them too, ages ago, but they didn't tell me he would be getting eye drops, so of course we wait ages, get the drops, then wait ages again. Whilst this is happening the window in the waiting room i getting replaced by a man with a tool box including a drill. I want to scream at the man to piss off but I didn't.

The noises read like a dream and yes, Egg has no trouble with faces. One time he got confused by a child who was of the same skin colour as another boy who was meant to be at the same place but wasn't, but it only happened once.

You must capture Jamie's noises on video!!!

Oh and YES to a once a week post. I LOVE that idea, then you can edit it a little, publish it and you'll be rich!!!

Robert said...

I don't know who told you that autistic children cannot recognise faces, but it is not so. They can have problems recognising facial expressions such as boredom or interest etc. My son's memory for faces is lots better than mine. Poor Jamie - I hate eye drops too!

We get lots of tourists here too. mostly they are nice, but lots of them do not know the width of their cars and thus have serious trouble navigating the narrow lanes which are common locally.

DJ Kirkby said...

Hi hon
I think you might have misunderstood when you heard that 'auties and aspies can't recognise faces'. We struggle with recognising facial expressions but can recognise familiar faces with ease, less good at recognising faces we don't see so often though but if a face is very distinctive then I will remember it easily next time. Does that make sense? Oh and the eye drops? They sting! xo

claire p said...

Not sure where I heard about the not recognising faces thing. Maybe I got mixed up with facial expresions? Anyway I'm glad that this is not so, it would be sad to think he couldn't recognise us.

Blu said...

Oh I really like the sound of the Vitara!!!

Why do I think that people with Autism can be quite artistic?

Paulene Angela said...

I like the sound of those little noises and for wanting to share his game with mum. WOW, looking very good, he looks a little charmer to me !!

Don't forget some kids and adults too need to cope with sensory issues, they get overloaded it's hard to take in all the info. at the same time, if you are focusing really hard on listening then focusing of seeing will automatically take second place or vis versa.