Saturday 21 February 2009

Happy Birthday (not!).

First of all thank you for all your birthday wishes and your best wishes for Jamie.

He was a star at the hospital. We always get more stressed than he does. I was more anxious about the night on the ward with him. Last time he woke at 2.30am and 'bimbled' until gone five. I spent the time trying desperately to stop him waking up the whole hospital! This time though he slept right through till 4.30, and then was quite quiet until morning proper.

He was first down on the list and so he went down to theatre at 8am. He was back on the ward, all done by 9.30am. All that for so short a time! Still it's where his fantastic neurosurgeon is based, and so that is where we have to go. I expect we will get called for a follow up appointment at Plymouth (he does outpatient clinics at Plymouth so we don't have to keep trekking to Bristol). Anyway it all seemed to go well, so hopefully that will be that for another 12 months.

The last three days have been about the most stressful of my life so far. The trip to Bristol and the lumber puncture were bad enough. But I think my birthday was worse.

My father has been having a few problems with his digestion, I won't go into detail. So his doctor sent him for the camera down the throat, to look for a hernia. His appointment was on my birthday so while we went out to lunch with some friends they went off to Barnstaple. Fine, we all thought, get it sorted out and we can carry on as normal.

We had a nice meal, Jamie had a great time watching the others play pool. We got home and did family stuff until my parents returned from the hospital. That was when the rug was pulled out from under us.

It's not a hernia, it's cancer. My dad, my wonderful, funny, happy, everything to me dad has cancer. We don't know how bad it is yet, but it looks like it's at a fairly early stage. With luck they might be able to do something. My grandmother (dads mum) had bowel cancer back in the '80's, she had an operation and went on for another fifteen years. And it was quite advanced. Maybe I'm clutching at straws, but the alternative is just too horrendous to think about.

Funny that just before I found out I had been blogging, and Frankie had left a comment saying that I was inspirational and always positive. I'm going to let Frankie down now because I don't feel the least bit positive. I feel crap, quite honestly. I had a good cry (out of sight) and then a bit of a rant (again in private). I refuse to accept it until they have done all the tests. It might not be cancer, and it it is then it might not be too serious. They might have caught it in time, he might have years. But he might be gone by Christmas, and I can't bear it.

As you can imagine my mental state is wobbly. I was already wound up about the lumber puncture, without this on top. Now we have got the LP out of the way I'm a bit calmer. And it's no more than a lot of other people are going through. Our own family have been here before several times. My grandmother died of another form of cancer nine years ago. And then there have been the sudden and/or tragic deaths. My mother in law died suddenly, but she was in her 80's. My cousin dropped dead (literally) from a heart attack age 38, to name but two.

One of the worst things is that there is nothing I can do. I can drive him to appointments and nurse him when the time comes, but I can't make it go away. What I can do is not waste anymore time. There are things I want to do with my life and I'm dam well going to do them.

Chapters 13 and 14 of MG is on WNR (and welcome Helen).

16 comments:

French Fancy... said...

I saw you on Blu's blog and followed you here. I am so sorry to hear about your bad news -well, it's more than bad it's devastating really. All the trite words I could say are not going to help - I just wish you and your dad and the rest of the close family all the necessary strength to fight this thing.

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

sending you a hug and an e mail.

Oh and a virtual cup of tea, babysitter, cake and nicely oiled up hunky "back massager".

Frankies' Cornish Farmyard Ramblings said...

You haven't let anybody down,you pretty much went through all the emotions in that one post! Right at the end your positive again. It's fine to cry, to rant always find the way emotion works for you. I hope you have some good friends that will just let you let rip and then carry on. Thinking of you, even though I don't know you.
Frankie

DAB said...

Claire, What a bummer, so sorry to hear this news. Sending my love and a big hug to you and your family. Take care m'dear TFxx

Blu said...

Sorry to read this, but three years ago I had a major operation for cancer and I am still here.

Keeping everything crossed for you. Blu x

claire p said...

To all: Thank you, thank you.

Leigh Forbes said...

I'm soo very sorry about this bad news. But, despite what you say, you do sound positive: not thinking the worst when you haven't yet got all the facts; thinking of all the things you can do for him; not wasting time, etc.

I admire your strength, Claire.
x

Caroline said...

Oh Claire the lack of control, the stress, the depth of emotion and the waiting will all play nasty games with your emotions. Please, never apologise for how you're feeling and remember to allow time for you. You have every right to feel crappy.

I am thinking about you and your dad and sending you lots and lots of positive wishes. Take care of you honey x

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

I'm sending you love and hugs. So sorry you've had such horrible news. I hope your dad is okay. x

Lane Mathias said...

Dreadful news Claire. I'm so sorry. And I agree with the others - after running the gamut of emotions, you're still positive.

We're here to listen. Thinking of you.
xx

ps I'm also so pleased Jamie got through the LP ok.

HelenMWalters said...

So sorry to hear about your dad. I went through this with both my parents in quick succession, so I do empathise. Thinking of you lots and sending hugs.

Paulene Angela said...

Why does everything seem to arrive at the same time! all this crap, no wonder you feel all shaken up, it is very painful news.

I do like your comment on the last paragraph, about "and I'm dam well going to do them".

Hugs for you all and sending daily strength.

Tamsyn Murray said...

I'm so sorry to hear your bad news. Hope you're managing to stay a little positive x x

claire p said...

Thank you so much everyone. It means a lot to know you are all out there for us.

Swerdnic said...

I know how you feel, i feel like my life is on egg shells at the moment and could fall apart any day, it has been for a while, a lot longer than i expected so be possitive - get the facts first. i really feel for you and hope everything turns out ok.
Lx

Lucy Diamond said...

I'm so so sorry to read this. I wish you and your Dad lots of happy times together in the future and hope he stays as well as possible xx