Friday 13 February 2009

Exploding Bottoms.

Yes it is as bad as it sounds! Poor Jamie. If it's not one thing it's another. He is being so good about it. Needless to say he's off school. Bless him. Not that he cares much, he's on Richard's computer doing his thing and having a ball. Just every now and than there is some horrid sounds followed by horrid smells, and yet another nappy change! Too much information I hear you say, fair enough.

Ok so now I've shown you what I see from my window what do you see from yours? Might be much more interesting than you think. We get so used to what we see everyday that we don't always appreciate it.

The lovely DJ Kirkby expressed envy at the photo on my sidebar of my 'study'. I have to confess that the pic is a little misleading. It is, in fact the upstairs landing. There was a room there last year. Regular readers will have heard me tell before of having to have a new roof last spring. For fifteen years we lived with a leaking roof. The worst of the water was coming in in the small room I used as a study. Along the inside wall there was a line of buckets to catch the water. The carpet had to go when it started to rot. I had to abandon the room eventually when fungus started growing and the electrics blew. Not good. So the room was shut up and unused, except to empty the buckets.

The whole house needed gutting when we moved in and we have been slowly getting through it all. The upstairs was the last area to do. Finally we got the builders in and they got to work. We moved out for six months and let them get on with it. When they got to the 'study' it was too bad to do much with, so they took the internal wall down. We decided we liked the open landing so didn't put it back up.

When the builders finally moved out the carpet fitters moved in. I could try to describe the state of the carpets, but you wouldn't believe me. Let's just say they were put down in the '70's and lots of dubious substances must have been inhaled when choosing them. At long last they went in the skip, I could have cried with joy.

It's been a long journey, but we finally have a home I don't feel I have to apologise for. I didn't realise how stressed it made me living in a semi building site all those years until it was over. There are still jobs to do. As you all know Richard had a heart attack a couple of weeks after we moved back in so all work is on hold for now. But that doesn't matter the worst is over. Or it was until the bad storm the other night when we found a small amount of water coming in in Jamie's room!! Just a crack from the movement created when they were doing the roof I think. Hopefully it will be easy to fix. Ho hum.

Next two chapters of MG on WNR. x.

8 comments:

Suzanne said...

Hi. I just stopped by to say I had never heard of Sotos syndrome before. My Ezra has always (even in-utero) had a head circumference "off the charts". It was growing quite rapidly when he was a toddler, which lead to a CAT scan and eventually to his autism dx. He also has hypotonia, and some of the other signs (so many are autism related too). I wonder.... He did have genetic testing done, but this syndrome was not mentioned. His head growth has leveled off, comparatively. He never could wear baby hats. His head is bigger than any adult I know (has been for years).
sorry to write so much--- I'm not even sure why. lol
Now I am off to blog something I have seen out my window. (Your views are absolutely charming!):o)

HelenMWalters said...

Gosh - you have been having some household dramas! Hope jamie is better.

Bonnie said...

gosh, Casey just got over something that sounds very similar to Jamies probem. I was really worried there for awhile and finally got some Immodium (diarrhea medicine here in the states). It helped the situation immensely! Hope he feels better.
I will share with you what I see from my house someday soon. I like your study/landing, it looks cozy and versatile!

Blu said...

I hope that all is well soon. I will be living in an unfinished home for many years to come.

DAB said...

Phew, What a stink! ;-) Hope Jamie is on the mend :) TFx

Lane Mathias said...

Your study looks soo lovely. Leaking roofs are no fun at all. I have one:-(

Hope Jamie is feeling much better now!

claire p said...

Thank you all. Jamie is much better now. And, so far, no more water in, yet.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Sorry to hear poor Jamie has been unwell. My sister's 3 yr old has had the same thing this weekend, such a shame. I hope he's much better soon.

We spent about four years refurbishing our house, and did most of it ourselves. Exhausting, lengthy, but well worth it in the end. Your house is fab.