Saturday 10 January 2009

Snow Cake and lost cats.

A few weeks ago rainbowmummy told of the film Snow Cake and how good it was. I have just opened the Radio Times to see that it is on tonight at 11.10pm on BBC Two. I have the machine set up to record it.

Some very sad news. One of our oldest cats, Poppy, has left us. Thursday night she suddenly became quite unwell, struggling to breath and rather unhappy looking. It was late so we decided to keep an eye on her. By bedtime she seemed a little better so it was decided to take her to the vets first thing in the morning. Richard was the last to bed and said that she had asked to go out about 1am. He let her go, followed her a little way down the garden with a torch and was happy that she seemed ok.

I was the first up yesterday morning and was instantly aware that something was not right because she was not miaowing for her breakfast. She was always a very vocal little cat. I had a horrid feeling and went in search. She was no where downstairs so I had a look out of the back door. And there she was. She was half curled up on the grass by the door, covered in frost. She had obviously taken herself out to die. It upset me so much that she had to die outside in the bitter cold like that. I know cats will do this sort of thing, but even so. I gathered her stiff little body up and brought her in to the warm. We buried her in a nice spot in the garden.

Thank you to everyone who has been so supportive about my story in the last post. It makes me think that I may not be waisting my time!

13 comments:

HelenMWalters said...

I'm so sorry about your cat. Having recently lost my Smudge I remember clearly how it feels. Poppy will be in cat heaven now with Smudge and Rudy and all the others, so she won't be lonely xxx

Lane Mathias said...

I'm so sorry. Poor little thing and poor you:-(

DAB said...

I#m so sorry to hear your sad news. ((HUG)) TFxx

Leigh Forbes said...

Oh, I'm so sorry.

My favourite cat, who died about four years ago, did just the same thing after he'd been a bit off colour for a while. One morning, he went to sit in his favourite spot under the hedge, and stayed there for a day and a night. He seemed happy enough when I went to talk to him; but he wouldn't eat or drink and, in the end, I took him to the vet who diagnosed kidney failure... I'm sure he knew he was dying, and I'm content that he was content.

Hugs, though. I know it's hard.

Bonnie said...

Hi Claire, being a cat lover this story really hit home. We have our old guy Simba who we are treating for thyroid disease and I am always afraid we'll find him the same way someday. I have to say that it must be better to know he died on his own instead of going through a horrible long illness and then having him put to sleep. I know it must be hard though and I'll be thinking of you!

By the way, concerning your last post, I need to set aside some time to sit and really read your prose, I think I have adult ADD so long reading sessions take planning and much thought for me. I look forward to it!

Frankies' Cornish Farmyard Ramblings said...

You brought a tear to my eye, I feel for you.
frankie

Exmoorjane said...

In haste as should be doing a zillion other things - but had to say a quick hello and, yes, same exmoorjane!
I too shall return.....can see we have at least one blogger in common (the lovely Lane)
Very sorry about your cat.....animals wreck our hearts, don't they?
Jane

Get The Measure said...

oh no im so sorry.

Halo said...

So sorry to hear you news :( I bet she had many wonderful years with you. xx

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Lossing a pet is hard. I hope amie is ok xxxxx

Hey thank you for the mention, I was just coming round to tell you that you can see it on line (the post you just read :0)) I saw that t was on, got excited, wrote a post, was about to publish then realised it was Sunday...so your doing a better job of organizing yourslf than me!

claire p said...

To all of you. Thank you for all you understanding comments about Poppy. She was born under the stairs at our old house in Kettering, and has been with us ever since.
They give us so much pleasure and so much pain.

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Oh, what sad news. I've also heard that cats do this sort of thing, but even so, reading your post bought a lump to my throat.

Hugs to you.

claire p said...

Debs; thank you. Hugs are always welcome.