Monday 16 March 2009

We're Back!!

What a week! Dorset was beautiful, but wet and windy. We would go back again, except...

Jamie hardly slept the whole week. He was physically fighting to stay awake. So we didn't sleep much either. Still it was barely two hours away and everything was close to the cottage. And you can drive with you're eyes closed! It is possible to be asleep and still function as if you were wide awake! But it did make me wonder if we will ever be able to have family holidays as Jamie gets older. If it's going to cause such disruption is it worth it? And today we saw one of his doctors who told us that he will almost certainly never live independent and will always need a high level of care. Which we knew, sort of, but it brings it home when someone says it out loud. I don't mind not being able to go back to work, I never had a high flying job anyway. But Richard will want to retire an a few years and I was supposed to go back to work then, so we would swap if you like. Now that can't happen. Richard wouldn't be able to look after Jamie full time with his own health problems. And now factor my dad into the equation and it looks like I'm going to be a full time career for the rest of my life. Which is fine, really it is. It's not what I expected my life to become, but there you go. What worries me is how it's all going to work. I can't expect Richard to just keep on working till he drops, but nor am I going to be able to go back to work until Jamie is much older, if at all. His care needs might get more the older he gets, we just don't know. And all this is assuming my mental health stays level. I haven't had an 'episode' for a year or so now. I get very down and weepy, and wound up about anything and everything, but I haven't gone to sleep and hoped desperately not to wake up for a long time.

Anyway while we were away we got news of dad's scan. It seems to show that the cancer has not spread. And it looks like they can operate and remove it completely. He has got to have another kind of scan to confirm this. And then we wait for op day. He's loosing a lot of weight, which he needed to do quite honestly, but seems quite bright now. Fingers crossed that it is all as hopeful as they seem to think. Maybe I can start to think about what to get him for his birthday after all.

Next 2 chapters of MG are on WNR.

16 comments:

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

I'm here for you, I understand (not all of it, but some of it).
xxxxxx

Deborah Carr (Debs) said...

Sending you hugs, and glad to hear that the news regarding your dad sounded positive. x

Michelle said...

Really good news about your dad, lets hope the op can put an end to this painful bit.
I worked with parent carers for five years and feel for you. Having a child with a disability changes your life in such permanent ways. Lots of love and head up, Big cyberspace cornish hug!
Michelle
x

HelenMWalters said...

Lots of love and hugs. You've got a lot on your plate, but it sounds like you're coping well.

Bonnie said...

wow lady, sounds like you've got so much on your shoulders! I feel for you. I am glad your dad's cancer hasn't spread, but I'm sure that doesn't make things completely easier either!
I often consider Casey's future and what it might be like, but I did that 5 years ago and didn't see the way thing s are now, so I've stopped trying to plan or dream too much and just take it day by day! Sounds like your doing the same.

Paulene Angela said...

Well that reads really good regarding your father, considering the circumstances.

I'm with Bonnie, I really try to focus on the day for many reasons, although some times it is easier said than done!

Also I believe we owe it to ourselves to focus on my own happiness because these "energy" vibrations are so vital for our children too!.
xxx

Paulene Angela said...

... should read
"our own happiness", time for another coffee. xxx

Frankies' Cornish Farmyard Ramblings said...

Is there anybody who can come/or is already in your life who may possibly want to help out? Some folk need to feel wanted, some folk never like to ask for help! I know nothing of your situation but get the impression you don'y like to ask. I have suffered with panic attacks for a while now, I know my limits and my close friends do too.
You seem to cope so well with your lot. Hopefully with the lovely weather and spring around the corner can lift you somewhat. Take care.
Frankie

Anonymous said...

Oh honey - I am so sorry I have been gone for so long! I am not in the same situation with my boys as you are with your little one but I know the feeling that you get when the doc tells you that you have to care for your child for the remainder of his life. Just knw that you are being a great parent and you are giving him all that you can right now. The future will fall into place and you will figure out what is right for you and your family. Lots of love!

Lane Mathias said...

Sorry to hear you've got alot on your plate and a lot to think about at the moment. I agree with Bonnie, in that if you look at the 'big picture' it can be too overwhelming. Big hugs to you.

And continue writing. Then you may never need to go back to work anyway!

Glad to hear the news about your dad too.

Take good care m'dear. x

DAB said...

Great big ((((((HUG)))))) coming your way m'dear and as Lane says keep writing :) TFxx

Rob-bear said...

Wow!

I drifted over here from French Fancy's place.

I feel the heartache coming through the computer screen -- Jamie, husband, dad. Plans delayed; plans abandoned (perhaps). Been there; done that; have the scars; and slowly getting towards the "other end" of the tunnel.

This is (perhaps) a bit impertinent on the part of a total stranger, but would a virtual bear hug from a gentle ol' bear help?

Anonymous said...

Ah yes. The unexpected is always just around the corner waiting to jump out and bite us.
Best wishes

French Fancy... said...

I'm pleased that they will be able to operate on your dad and that the prognosis is good. You however - what a lot you have on your shoulders. I realise commiserations don't achieve very much though - and you are entitled to feel upset about things from time to time. However, perhaps there will be meds in the future that will help with Jamie's problems; they are working on things all the time.

It's so hard to know what to say without dredging up the awful cliches. In blogland you have an outlet for all your grief and fears and you must take advantage of that. Sometimes just by posting something about your inner turmoil can maybe shift it from insideyou to us lot on here.

I'm going to clamp you on to my sidebar where I can stay in touch a bit better.

x

claire p said...

Thank you everyone. It means a lot that you are all there for us.

Anonymous said...

Hi I have spent time getting this up and running so hope you are pleased with it . I shall be putting some photos on it soon.
On different note hope that you are getting on ok.
Take care lots of love Maria xxx