Monday 3 November 2008

Writing progress

I finally had someone leave a comment on my blog!! Hurahh! It was from a fellow would be writer from Cornwall (see link on right). In her comment she talks about finding the time to write. It's something you read about in all the writing magazines. They all give lots of 'useful' tips about making writing time. I just to grab it when I can. I can't even think about writing until everything else is out the way. If there's any job still to do then it will buzz around in the back of my mind and stop the creativity dead in its tracks. There are often times when I have to really make myself do it. I learnt the art of this kind of self discipline when I did my English Literature degree with the OU. Not having a tutor constantly on your back to keep you going you have to find the time yourself, and you do. Now I try and apply the same techniques to writing. Personally I find the evenings when Jamie is in bed the best time. And now he's at school I try and make myself have a couple of afternoons a week. So far I'm nearly 35,000 words into novel number two which I started in July. When Richard had his heart attack and I had to take over the business I struggled. But I love to write, so I fit it in. It's like everything else, if you want to do it then you somehow find the time. And I'm lucky that running holiday cottages means only two days a week that are really busy, the rest can be slotted in. And it goes quite now so I'll have the winter to do more. Mind you I have eight fruit trees to plant up in the field, and all the veg beds to get ready for next year, and a pollytunnel to put up. Jamie now has his transport in place which means we don't have to do the school run, that will save two hours a day for a start.

Getting the school taxi sorted out took an age. We asked Cornwall council back in May. Oh well they got there eventually. I have to say that we have been so lucky with everything we get for Jamie. I know that in some parts of the country you have to fight for everything. So far everything has been more or less given to us. I had no idea what having a special needs child would involve or who to ask. But suddenly there were all these people offering all these different things. The latest thing we have been put in touch with is the Family Fund. They have given us some help with the cost of transport for all Jamie's various appointments. Just as well as he has just been put on the waiting list for another lumberpuncture, and that means a trip up to Bristol.

I will keep posting any news about novel number one. The agent has it on a read only basis until the end of the month. Fingers crossed!

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I am a 'grab time when I can girl' with writing, although I really do need some self discipline. I live in semi permanant chaos at times, so I have to filter what will and will not bother me!
My little girl starts school part time in January and I am seeing this as a step to more time in the mornings for writing.
Well done on your second novel status so far.
Sorry about potential Bristol trip, I may have one of them to endure in the next couple of years if my son has to have a bone graft to repair the cleft in his gum.

Just a suggestion to get more people blogging with you. Surf through some of the blogs on my page (especially Wright story as she is my next door neighbour and Debs and Tam) and leave comments on their blogs. Your user name will come up with the comment and then they will trip over to your blog and have a look, then hey presto!
love
Michelle
x

Tamsyn Murray said...

Hi Claire, thanks for dropping by my blog. It sounds like you have your hands full juggling motherhood, work and a writing career so well done on getting your novel off to agents and fingers crossed for a positive response :-)